Thursday, May 3, 2012

Being Jewish in South Africa

I come from big old-fashioned Jewish family, and I was raised that way. My childhood was amazing and I don’t regret a thing, but now that I grew up I sometimes wish I could have more freedom. When I compare myself to my other friends I can see that they live their lives to the fullest, with no regrets and no limits. Sometimes I wish I can let myself go and forget about all the rules, but I am so committed to my religion and I know that it wouldn’t be right. For example, my parents would never let me date someone who is not Jewish so I have problem finding a boyfriend. This is the reason why whenever I have the opportunity to have some fun,  and meet new people,  I never miss that. Recently I have discovered Jewish chat, I was really surprised when I found out how many nice Jewish people there are in South Africa. I am really happy because many beautiful things had happened since I have met some people here.

My religion means everything to me, and I would never do anything that is not good according to Judaism. There are not many people who can understand this way of thinking. Of course, my life is not much different  than other people’s lives but some of my Jewish costumes can be confusing for some persons. Sometimes it annoys me when I have to explain to other people what  Sukkot,  Shavuot, or Pesach is. Because of that it is no wonder that I like to spend my spare time on Jewish chat South Africa. Here I don’t have to explain anything, I just enjoy talking to other people.

I have to be honest and to say that thanks to Jewish chatrooms I have met an amazing young man. He is the same age as I am, he is well educated, smart, good looking  and he is very religious, maybe even more than I am, which is very important for me. This part about him being very religious is particularly important because I know that my parents will like him. I don’t like saying anything  in advance, but I think that this guy could be the one! I am so happy that I have found someone who is just like me, who understands me and likes me just the way I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment