Sunday, April 22, 2012

How I Learned to Cope with HIV!

Coping with the notion that I was HIV positive wasn’t easy for me. Ever since I’ve found out that I have HIV my life has changed for the worse, of course. I was going through a crisis and depression – thinking that my life is over and that I will never have a chance for love and/or any type of normal life. Being HIV positive doesn’t mean that you’re sick but at the time I thought I might as well be dead. This has influenced my relationships with friends, parents and colleges. Of course, I kept it a secret – only my parents knew and that was also a big burden for me- I was not only worried about my health but also about my parents and the stress my predicament has caused them. However, after a while I learned that living with HIV is very possible and not all that different than living without it.

Sure, there are no more carefree relationships, casual sex and free dating. Sure I had to change my habits and start to take care of myself better- but I learned that I don’t have to deprive myself from dating and love. I was browsing the Internet one day feeling pretty low and experiencing a big guilt trip when I came across of a poz chat online. I instantly got intrigued and decided to give it a try – what a revelation. Believe me when I tell you that a big chunk of my worries had disappeared as I finally had a chance to chat with people who have been going through the same ordeal as I have. I have met many interesting people and soon enough I learned a lot about HIV, dating with HIV and other possibilities that HIV singles have.

Just being present at the poz chatroom gave me hope that I’ll be just fine. I have managed to build new friendships, I managed to share my problem with my old friends and yes I found love. I love to use the poz webcam chat with some of my friends that live abroad which gives me a sensation of closeness with them. However, through this online experience I also learned that when dating other HIV positive people you should also keep in mind to use condoms and have safe sex simply because of the danger of re-infection. For me, online interaction with HIV people has changed my life for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment